BISMILLAHIR RAHMANIR RAHEEM
IN THE NAME OF ALLAH, THE MOST GRACIOUS AND COMPASSIONATE, THE MOST MERCIFULAlhamdulillah! All gratitude is due to Allah, eternal happiness is entrusted into the hands of the pious, and indeed, there is no animosity except for the oppressors. May the peace and blessings of Allah be enshrouded unto the long chain of Prophets, right from Prophet Adam down to the last and final messenger of Allah, Muhammad Musthapha ﷺ, his household and companions, the peace and blessings should thus be extended until the day of recompense, Amin.
Respected one! Allah be pleased with you; it’s the deepest pleasure to bring before you an important discussion set to pervade key facts about dishonoring the Shaythan (Iblis) and his whispering suggestions. We seek Allah’s protection and guidance throughout this endeavor, Amin.
Allah, Glory unto Him, created the entire world and its constituent entities, the way and manner of creation are beyond human intelligence quotient. He then decided to divide the constituent entities into humans and non – humans and out of which he separated the humans by drawing a rather clear line of the dichotomy between the guided and misguided; so Allah said in the Glorious Qur’an:
“A group He has guided and a group deserved to be in errors, (because) surely they took the shayathin (devils) as Auliya (protectors and helpers) instead of Allah, and think that they are guided.”
The guided group are those who have been able to adventure more marvelous and wondrous in “guiding the heart and soul”, hence they are those who have dishonored the Shaythan by refusing to fathom and obey the secret subterranean desires of their heart and have submitted to the will of Allah, the Glorious Lord. The other group has also performed in contrast; by honoring the Shaythan and taking him as a role model, they will as well live in eternity, in the prisons of their own creation.
Respected reader! I wish for Allah’s guidance on you, for He (Allah) did not leave us incapacitated, but rather used so many instances in the Glorious Qur’an to give us a green light about the need to dishonor Shaythan and refuse to obey as negative suggestion that in most often than not, lead us to the point of grasping in the throes of our own malice and malpractices.
The story pervading the pros and cons in the creation of Adam (alaihil-salam) is brought in the second chapter of the Qur’an (al-Baqara) and in so many chapters. The promise of Shaythan to mislead the world was however not left out unsaid. After Shaythan had refused to prostrate to Adam (alaihil-salam), he was cursed by Allah and instantly; he compensated himself by throwing out a rather clear promise which has been rhythmically displayed in the Noble Qur’an: “(Iblis) said: Because you have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait against them (human beings) on Your straight path. Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones (i.e they will be undutiful to you). (Allah) said (to Shaythan): Get out from this (Paradise), disgraced and expelled. Whoever of them (mankind) will follow you, then surely I will fill Hell with you all. ”
Also in the fourth chapter of the Qur’an:
“They (all those who worship others than Allah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him (Allah), and they invoke nothing but Shaythan, a persistent rebel! Allah cursed him (Shaythan). And he said: I will take an appointed portion of your slaves. Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allah. And whoever takes the Shaythan as a Wali (protector and helper) instead of Allah, has surely suffered a manifest loss. He makes promises to them and arouses in them desires, and Shaythan (Satan) promises are nothing but deceptions. The dwelling of such (people) is Hell, and they will find no way of escape from it. ”
Also in the fifteenth chapter of the Qur’an, Allah said:
“(Shaythan (iblis) said: “O my Lord! Because You misled me, I shall indeed adorn the path of error for them (mankind) on the earth, and I shall mislead them all. “Except Your chosen (guided) slaves among them.”
Respected one! The few that will empower the Shaythan despite his intelligence and diverse approach are those that have been able to undergo a complete Guiding of the heart and soul. Allah lets you be among them; those that have dishonored the Shaythan. You may ask, how we honor Shaythan, with or without our noticing aught.
Ways by which we honor Shaythan (IBLIS)
In a more quizzical glare, we need to be well acquainted with the fact that; whenever we hear the call of the name ‘Shaythan’, ideally, we should expel on him our curses (we should say: “may the curse of Allah be upon him”). But rhetorically, we turn out to honor him with our lives. Why is it that the one we are supposed to curse when we hear his name mentioned turn out to be honored by us again? It is such an interesting paradox! However, it’s as well true that sometimes we honor him (Shaythan) deliberately and in rare instances without our noticing aught. Be with me and I will bring you to comprehension:
1. Following the heart desires; sometimes in life, we are tossed into the aperture of the two horns of a bull, while getting perplexed in to the puzzling situations and being unable to situate ourselves to the ideal at the expense of our heart desire, we, therefore, find our heart desires quite adorning, we select it unblinkingly, with a little or no idea that; it’s nothing either than the whispering suggestions of Shaythan (Satan). Didn’t we hear Allah saying:
“Then for him who transgressed all bounds (in disbelief, oppressive and evil deeds of disobedience to Allah). And preferred the life of this world (by following his heart desires and lusts), Verily, his abode will be Hell-Fire; But as for him who feared to stand before his Lord, and restrained himself from impure evil desires and lusts, Verily, Paradise will be his abode”. Which means, wherever we are been thrown-up between two confusing situations, let’s consult our trusted Islamic sources (Qur’an and Sunna) and select the ideal at the expense of our heart desire.
2.Accepting and following the views of the masses is another way by which we honor Shaythan (Satan). We often reside to the view of the dense population with a little or no idea that they are influencing us to honor the Shaythan (Iblis) who doesn’t deserve to be honored by us. Astagfirullah! If we care to know; the Glorious Qur’an always teaches us that the ideal is not usually residing to the views of the masses, and for that matter, we should not allow the masses to do our thinking for us. Whenever the Qur’an is talking about a mass population, the Qur’an is making reference to the misguided. But on the contrary, the less population are always labeled as the guided ones.
For all the One Hundred and Twenty-four Thousand (124,000) Prophets sent by Allah, their messages have always been rejected by the mass population, that trend is still alive and well! Prophet Nuuhu (Noah (alaihil-salam) spent Nine Hundred and Fifty years on earth spreading the message of Allah but his message was accepted by only 80 people. Prophet Musah (Moses (alaihil-salam) also spent a good number of years but could not guide except his family, the masses have rejected his message and all those who follow them and they were punished by Allah in this world, and the mercy of Allah would avail them naught on the day of reckoning. This means that in order for us to dishonor the Shaythan we need to reject what the masses say and do and follow the ideal.
3. Ignorance in our endeavor is also an indisputable way of honoring the Shaythan (Satan). In our business and social life, we plunge into the flames of starting or engaging in actions that we do not know the ruling of Allah in it. The Scholar Abdul – Rahman Al – Ahdriyyu said in the introduction of his Book (Hidayatul-Muta’abbadil Salik):
“And he should not indulge into any action until he knows the ruling of Allah in it, and he should seek for clarification from scholars, he should also copy from those who follow the examples of the Prophetic traditions of Muhammad ﷺ” (Al-Ahdriyyu, P)
Dear reader! Let’s always find out the jurisdiction of Allah in whatever we want to do, even if it demands to consult the learned; that is the only way we will be free from honoring the Shaythan (Satan), may the curse of Allah be upon him, Amin. Just as Allah said in the Qur’an: “And we sent not (as our messengers) before (O’ Muhammad ﷺ any but men, whom We sent the revelation, so ask those who know if you know not.”
4. Materialism is also another by which we honor the Shaythan (Satan). We are living in a world where the love and desire for material acquisition had grown beyond repair, Subhanallah! Everyone wants to put up a mansion, drive in the latest car, and find the most lucrative job where money flows like the early morning water pipe and a whole a lot. However, it is not bad to acquire more than what we have listed; but it is all wrong to acquire them through illegal means. Many of us finally become the children and grandchildren of the devil (Shaythan) simply because our desire for material acquisition had grown far beyond imagination, and we turn out to be worshiping and honoring the devil like the only sons and daughters of kings, Astaghfirullah! Masha Allah! I think you now know how we humans honor the Shaythan (Satan), now let’s find out how we can dishonor him.
How do we dishonor the Shaythan (SATAN)
Respected reader! Allah grants you more understanding. We will be attaining a high level of deficiency if we finish this discussion without looking at some carefully selected and tested strategies of how we can dishonor the Shaythan. The question that will be coming to your mind at this time is “how possible can I dishonor him?”
Let’s see what Allah (Ta’ala) said:
“O children of Adam! Let not Shaythan (Satan) deceive you, as he got your parents (Adam and Hawa (Eve)” out of Paradise, stripping them of their raiment’s, to show them their private parts. Verily, he (Shaythan) and his Qabil (his soldiers from the jinn and mankind) see you from where you cannot see them. Verily! We made the Shayathin (devils) Auliya (protectors and helpers) for those who believe not.”
“O Mankind! Verily, the promise of Allah is true. So let not this present life deceive you, and let not the chief deceiver (Shaythan) deceive you about Allah. Surely,
(Satan) is an enemy to you, so take (treat) him as an enemy. He only invites his Hizb (followers) that they may become the blazing fire.”
Now let’s see how we can dishonor him (Shaythan):
1. Submission to the will of Allah is our number one means of dishonoring the Shaythan (Satan). The basic principle in the true Submission to the will of Allah is; “Striving hard in the commands of Allah and distancing completely from Allah’s prohibitions”, as in the words of Arabia: “Imtisalul awamiri wa-ijtinabul nawahii” in other words; respecting the dos and don’ts of Allah. When we are able to submit ourselves wholeheartedly to Allah, we will get to an extent where we will become deaf, blind and mute in Allah; which means, we will not listen unless what Allah is pleased with, we will not view except that which Allah Has made lawful and as well, we will not say unless what will be pleased to read from our books on the day of accountability. Allah grants us a total submission.
2. Knowledge before action; We will be able to break the chain of misguidance by Shaythan (Satan) when we develop a heart full of curiosity in finding out Allah’s jurisdiction before engaging in any action. That is a remarkable way of dishonoring the Shaythan since with knowledge you can be able to draw a line of the dichotomy between the good and bad.
3. Not Following the ideal at the expense of the masses. As we have stated categorically earlier, the ideal is not usually resorted to the view of the masses; the reason why the masses do not always succeed. The masses should only be followed when they are doing the right thing and should be thus rejected when they are doing otherwise. Following the masses in evil and Jahannamah-like activities is tantamount to honoring the Shaythan since Shaythan is playing a key role in the mass opinion.
4. Worshiping Allah with a greater sense of enthusiasm and anticipation for the eternal bliss is yet another means of dishonoring the Shaythan. A companion of the Prophet of Allah, Wahshi (Radiyallahu anhu) in his pre-Islamic era was one of the weapons of Shaythan who move around living a brutal and disruptive life. After embracing Islam and practicing it with great enthusiasm and sweet anticipations for Allah’s mercy, became a teary-eyed companion who could not withhold his tears after listening to the words of Allah, Subhanahu wa Ta’ala.
Living a passive life
Respected reader! We are now going to throw some light on “living a passive life.” How does one live a passive life? One lives a passive life when he accepts, honor, respects, buy and engage in everything that comes his way whether good or bad. Such a person is always found troubled and puzzled since he lacks the humor to compare two things. And for one thing, an apathy and passiveness will overcome you, and you will get into a dangerous state of being wrapped up in his own troubles and miseries, and for another, a fatal feeling of doom pervades.
And in the end; let’s see what Shaythan (Satan) will say to those who took him and his nation as Auliya (protectors and helpers):
“And they all shall appear before Allah (on the day of resurrection): then the weak will say to those who were arrogant (chief): “Verily, we were following you; can you avail us anything against Allah’s Torment? “They will say: “Had Allah guided us, we would have guided you. It makes no difference to us (now) whether we rage, or bear (these torments) with patience; there is no place of refuge for us. And Shaythan (Satan) will say: “When the matter has been decided: “Verily, Allah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, and you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former associating me (Shaythan) as a partner with Allah (by honoring me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the zalimiin (polytheists and evil doers).”
Allah is the most Exalted and He knows Best!
Allahumma salli ala Muhammadin wa-Alihii wa-Sahbihii wa-sallim
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al-A’araf, 7:30)
 (Al – Qur’an, Suura al – A’araf, 7:16-18)
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al-Nisa’e, 4:117-121)
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al – Hijir, 15:39-41)
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al-Nazi’at, 79:36-41)
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al-Nahl, 16:43).
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al-A’araf, 7:27)
 (Al-Qur’an, Suura al –Fadithir, 35:5-6)